Sunday, December 21, 2008

A Quote That Just Blows My Mind

I watched the movie "American Beauty" for the first time ever today and I have to say, that is one screwed up movie. Kudos to the man who wrote the screenplay for that because it is quite the intricate plot. There are so many memorable parts from that movie (and if you haven't seen it, put that on the list for things to do), but there is one line that just blows me away. About halfway through the movie, Kevin Spacey throws a line out there that is absolutely genius. He says, "Remember those posters that said, "Today is the first day of the rest of your life"? Well, that's true of every day but one - the day you die." The morbidity and sarcastic nature of the quote is hilarious but it really brings a lot more to light than just humor.

What does someone really mean when they say "today is the first day to the rest of your life?" Does it mean that what you do in that day will have a resounding impact on the next day and your entire future. Well, I guess it could. In the movie, Spacey is completely unhappy with his life when one day he has just had enough and makes a complete and drastic change. Spacey says about his past two decades, "I feel like I've been in a coma for the past twenty years. And I'm just now waking up." So does that quote really mean that a major event happens that propels you to start anew? He finds himself doing everything he ever wanted to do that he had never done in the past. So I see that quote really coming in to play when you start over in life, so to speak. Maybe that's what it means.

Who knows? Maybe it wasn't meant to be looked at in such a deep way. Maybe the creator of it wanted the statement to be as shallow as an empty glass. The creator may be thinking I'm an idiot for questioning the meaning but it just strikes me as something that should be analyzed. Was it always a statement meant to be portrayed in a positive light? I mean, it is used in this day in age as a symbol of positivity. I don't know.

Maybe I'm just someone who has been up for too long and it has no certain meaning or connotation. But it is still a great quote. Any opinions?

No comments: